Saturday, September 29, 2007

More stuff! (Pictures, too!)

Yet another Saturday night I'm staying in. Considering the fun had last night, however, it's understandable.

My week at school was short (I had Monday and Tuesday off), but it was pretty productive. This chapter we're studying the stock market. Since I'm not much of an investor, a lot of the vocab words I'm studying are relatively foreign concepts to me, even in English. It's interesting to learn about the stock market through another language, though. On Thursday we ended class early and took a field trip to a place where they displayed the stock market. Most of the people there were retirees looking to do some day trading. I thought it was cool, despite not really knowing what was going on with all the stocks.

Last night my roommate Amanda invited John and me out with her friends to go to Luxy, which is one of the more upscale nightclubs in Taipei. After some pregaming in Amanda's friend Chelsea's studio we headed over to the club. It was expensive getting in ($600 NT, about $18 US) and drinks weren't cheap, but it was quite the scene. Here are some pictures I took with my cellphone camera.



That's not very clear, but it's a bartender throwing around a bottle of liquor with the top on fire. Classy.



Some guys rapping up on stage. Other than live music, the club had dancers and breakdancing.

Oh, and funny thing. I ran into one of my classmates from the Tianjin program, Molly. I knew she had been in Taiwan, but I didn't know she was still here. How's that for crazy?

Kickboxing is still fun. Today, since Anders (the main instructor) had to work (because of the day off, some schools made up the day on Saturday), one of my fellow kickboxers and I taught the class. I utilized my martial arts background and gave some pointers on how to put power into the strikes. Amanda (from kickboxing, not my roommate, different person) utilized her triathlon training background and gave us a hell of a workout. I hated it while I was doing it, but I know it was good for me. Afterwards Amanda, Jon (another kickboxer, not my roommate), and I went to Starbucks and a Singaporean restaurant. We exchanged China/Taiwan stories and quirks about learning Chinese. Good times.

Well, I've got some household duties to attend to. Be sure to check up frequently!

No comments: