Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Good times in Saudi Arabia

In three hours I'm taking a cab to Bahrain, where I'll be heading on a plane (via London and Chicago) back to Minnesota. It will have been 10 months and 9 days (or 314 days) since I have been home.

I've been having a fabulous time in Saudi Arabia. Greg and Amy have been fantastic hosts and my cousins have been a load of fun. Their pets are pretty fun too, especially their dog Morrie (who enjoys chasing geckos).

I've been here since Friday, and the week in Saudi Arabia goes from Saturday until Wednesday so most of my time here has been during their week. While they've been at work (my uncle is an HR rep and my aunt is a reading teacher) and school I've been relaxing around the house, going to the beach, and working a little bit on my impending job search. I also got a chance to meet Clements, my aunt and uncle's assistant around the house. He's from India and a very nice guy.

In the evenings I'd do fun stuff with the family. Twice we went into Rahima, the non-gated town about a 5 minute drive away. We got dinner there twice, which was absolutely delicious (I'm a big fan of the Shawarma, which is basically an Arabian burrito). On Sunday night I also got the chance to see Emily and Gus in concert, singing and playing a few select songs.

All in all I've had a fantastic time here. The weather has been quite hot but it's also pretty windy. Because of the wind I've been in a "Shmal" (kinda like a sandstorm), but their idea of horribly sandy air looks a lot like a major city like Bangkok or Taipei to me.

Although I've been able to get on the Internet, I can't seem to access webpages on my personal computer. As a result, I can't post pictures until I'm back home, but I've got quite a few good ones.

Buuuut before I get home I've got a lot of flying to do. Later!

No comments: